Any computer connected to other
computers and especially the Internet
poses a significant security
Since the user generally presents the greatest risk a little
knowledge about computer security
can greatly aid in protecting yourself and your files. Network Chico takes the issue of
computer security seriously
and looks forward to the opportunity of helping others make their
computing environment safer and more secure. Please feel free
to contact Network
Chico today to discuss improving your computer security.
In general there are three
basic rules that must be followed for users of all computer operating
- Use a firewall, either hardware,
software or both for any network connection
- Use anti-virus software and
keep it up-to-date
- Keep operating system files and application files patched
In addition there are some more specific measures that can
be taken in relation to the various available operating systems,
applications, tasks and types of networks.
Network Chico security
Consumers can learn more about protecting themselves from malicious spyware and bogus e-mails by going to: OnGuardOnline.gov
The web site was created by the FTC in partnership with other federal agencies and the technology industry to help consumers stay safe online.
The site features a variety of Consumer Information.
Check out the Network Chico
Attention Windows users: Announcing the addition of
the Start-up application list
(startup info) mirrored from
The page presents a searchable, comprehensive list of the programs
you may find that run when you switch on your Windows
PC as typically identified by MSCONFIG or the registry "Run"
keys and whether you need them or not.. This excellent resource
contains more than 11800
entries. Please be advised this page can take some time to load
since it is more than 2MB in size.
Now available: Download the NIST (National Institute of Standards and
Technology) Introduction to Computer
Security handbook special publication 800-12 (1725 KB PDF)
from Network Chico.
Be sure to check out the Network
resources for links to many additional sources of security information.
Check out the
Network Chico computer security terms glossary
Web Security Services
- Kaspersky Malware and URL filtering for web and email. IM Security
- McAfee Web Protection Service. Malware and URL filtering for web and email.
- Purewire Malware and URL filtering for web. Limited data loss prevention.
- ScanSafe Malware and URL filtering for web. Limited data loss prevention.
- Symantec/MessageLabs Malware and URL filtering for web and email. E-mail and IM archiving.
- Websense Malware and URL filtering for web and email.
- Zscaler Malware and URL filtering for web. Limited data loss prevention. Web log management.